After spending the past 30 years of my life working within the financial and accounting industry, starting and running my own business and raising two beautiful children, I have learnt along the way the power of your mind. I’m not just talking about the power of our knowledge and learning, I’m talking about the power that lies within your thoughts and positive thinking.
I often get asked the question, “ How do you remain so happy?” and “How do you stay so motivated?” The answer is, I choose to be. I choose to focus on the things that I love and bring me the most joy and happiness. Achieving a positive and clear mind frame drives us to want to achieve our goals and not to give up when we don’t.
Okay think about this, look at the most successful people in your life. Most of the time, these people are the happiest, most thriving and motivated people we know. They’re not happy and positive because they are successful; they are successful because of their positivity and motivation. The most successful people you know haven’t spent their lives and careers focusing on the negative parts of themselves and their skills and their jobs but have shifted their minds to focus on the good skills and opportunities they have, utilizing and making the most of them!
There’s extensive research that has been done that looks into the correlation between living healthier longer lives and being positive and optimistic. In 2010, researchers analysed the results of 83 studies measuring the impact optimism has on physical health. Optimists had better results when it came to overall longevity, survival from disease and pain tolerance. Additionally, a Yale study indicates a positive attitude helps keep your heart pumping an additional 7.6 years on average.
This is not to say that if you have a positive and healthy mind that success will just come to you easily and fall right in front of you but the likelihood of you succeeding is much higher. If you approach all things in life whether that be business, relationships and careers with a optimistic mind frame success will eventually follow.
Success is like a long distance running race. If you persist, keep motivated and positive and believe in yourself good things will come.
Sure, having “bad” days are a given. That’s life. We need those days to remind us of the good ones. The trick is not letting a “bad” day turn into a “bad” week or a “bad” month. It’s recognizing that things didn’t exactly go to plan that one-day but tomorrow will be better.
I have put together five easy tips to maintain and create a positive mind frame
1) Focus on the good Focusing on the good in every situation and aspect of our lives will create a positive mind frame, which will eventually lead to applying positivity everywhere. Reminding ourselves of the positive things in our lives instead of the negative will highlight how many great things are around us. Try making an effort to write down or event list off some of the good things and blessings in your life every single day.
2) Practice gratitude
Practicing gratitude is so important in maintaining positive. It reminds us of what we have and grounds us to be present. Try to mindfully appreciate everything you have, even the little challenges that can be annoying. Normally these “challenges” and hard times are there for a reason, which you will eventually realize!
3) Stay grounded and motivated Staying grounded and motivated is so important for remaining positive! We tend to lose these aspects when we’re overworking or overwhelmed by certain things. Try starting your day with five minutes completely devoted to yourself. Whatever you would like to do! Go for a swim; enjoy a cup of tea/coffee or anything that you enjoy. Doing this will start your day right so you can approach things from a positive perspective.
4) Give more Give more! The more you give, the more you receive. Not only does giving more and being generous to people make US feel good; it makes them feel good too! This could be something as simple as buying a friend a coffee or volunteering some of your time to a cause in need. The power of giving is pretty powerful stuff. Give it a try!
5) Invest in yourself
Lastly, invest in yourself! At the end of the day you are everything you’ve got. Invest in wanting to achieve a positive mind frame to be successful for you, no body else. Do things that you love and take time out for yourself. The better you feel, the better quality work you will do and the more motivated and positive you will be!
I hope you enjoy this blog post, stay positive!
So you have your dream business idea and are ready to start planning, it’s very exciting, but there are a few items though, that are often overlooked and can add thousands of dollars to your start up budget.
1. Bank Fees – not only do you need to take into account your regular account keeping fees, you will need to allow for EFTPOS fees and if you are dealing in international currency for instance in buying your stock you will really open a can of worms:
So today for instance, opening a business account with one of the big banks, will cost you from $10 per month, but if you get EFTPOS facilities they will generously waive the fee.
We will need an EFTPOS machine which will set us back $60 per month, this will include the first $3,000 of transactions for free. So on a business with say $200,000 in sales, our EFTPOS fees will be $3,180 per year!!!
Now in today’s global world it is likely that you will be purchasing some stock from overseas, and there are layers of costs here. Firstly the Foreign Exchange Rate you see quoted in the media will not be what you pay. And then there are transfer fees and then you may also pay for the privilege of sending it through to your supplier’s bank.
If we want to pay our US supplier for $5,000 AUD stock, today looking again at the same big bank website it would cost us as follows:
Exchange Rate quoted on sending money: $0.7869 AUD vs todays actual Exchange Rate $0.750556, this would cost us $6,968, as opposed to $6,662 at today’s actual rate: An additional $306 or 6%. On top of that you will have the transfer fees which start at $11 per transfer and then a fee for the bank receiving the funds of in our case the USA, which would be $37. So on one transaction of $5,000 you would pay an additional $354 in fees.
2. Retail Shop Lease – In QLD you are required to obtain both a Legal Advice Report and a Financial Advice Report before you enter into the Lease of a retail premises. The cost of these reports will vary but you would be looking at upwards of $1,000. In other states you may need provide a copy of your business plan, cash flow or Profit and Loss to prove you can pay the rent. In addition the lease may stipulate different levels of insurance, that you may not have been aware of.
By keeping in mind these things when setting up your business, you will avoid some unnecessary stress and financial burden.
This article is intended as a source of general information only and no reader should act on any matter without first obtaining professional advice.
Michele Purvis is an advisor with over 30 years experience working in the accounting and financial services industry helping clients to define and create their wealth.